Greg, Megan, and Michael entered Y-12 in a spirit of nonviolence. Their intent was not to commit a crime; instead, they entered Y-12 nonviolently to expose the crimes of nuclear policy being perpetuated there.
That morning they brought with them a printed copy of the Metta Center Pledge of Nonviolence, as a symbol of their intention.
Believing as we do that life is an interconnected whole, and that there is an inescapable harmony between means and ends, and convinced by the proven effectiveness of nonviolent struggles in a just cause, we take the following pledge.
- While engaged in actions associated with the Occupy movement we will refrain from violence in deed, word, and as far as possible even in thought. That is:
- We will remain aware that our opponents are systems, not people; that our goal is to win over, wherever possible, rather than coerce. Therefore we will of course not indulge in abusive language or threatening gestures toward anyone.
- We will not confine ourselves to disestablishing what we regard as unjust without at the same time offering a positive alternative.
- Where we succeed, we will not triumphalize over our ‘victory’ or quickly add a fresh issue to the struggle.
- To maintain our own decorum and control, we will not bring or, as far as possible allow others to bring, intoxicants to an action.
- We will take responsibility to control without resorting to their own tactics those who might attempt to depart from the nonviolent character of our action.
As preparation for a long-term struggle in this spirit, we will prepare ourselves by learning everything we can about the history, theory, and future promise of nonviolence. At the same time, we will eliminate or at least minimize our exposure to the commercial mass media, with their dehumanizing message of violence and consumerism.